Distracted driving has been in the news for years but many drivers still choose to text and drive and many Miami Gardens car accidents continue to be caused by distracted drivers. Even though Florida still does not have a texting ban for drivers, many people are aware that distracted driving (including texting while driving) can lead to Miami Gardens traffic accidents. Why, then, do many drivers continue to drive distracted? Reporters, investigative journalists, and police authorities point to many reasons:
1) Drivers may lack the discipline to not get distracted. Many drivers think that they will “just quickly” check a text message or voice mail. Very few are willing to turn off all devices and put their focus entirely on the road. Unfortunately, even a few seconds of focus away from the road can cause a serious Miami Gardens truck accident or car accident.
2) There are more distractions today than ever before. Lately, even car manufacturers have been targeted for putting more distracting technology and devices in cars. Today, many people have mobile devices, tablets, cell phones, and other devices they carry with them – including devices they bring with them into the car. In addition, newer vehicles have many potentially distracting features, such as LCD touch displays, GPS, complex audio systems, infotainment systems, internet access, and other features. There are more devices and more forms of technology demanding driver attention.
3) Drivers overestimate their driving ability. Some drivers continue to drive distracted because they feel that they can use their mobile devices and still drive safely, even though research has shown that this is not the case.
4) There is not enough awareness about distracted driving. While much has been written lately about the dangers of mobile devices and driving, less is written about distracted driving in general. As a result, there is less awareness about the dangers of driving while eating, changing music, and other distractions.
5) There is a dangerous focus on multi-tasking. With most people busier today than ever before, many of us feel the pressure to do many things at once – including getting tasks done as we drive. Unfortunately, this attitude can be dangerous for drivers.
If you have been in a Miami Gardens motorcycle accident or other traffic accident caused by a distracted driver, it is important to consult with a qualified Miami Gardens personal injury attorney. Unfortunately, proving distracted driving is very challenging and a good attorney will usually work with a private investigator and with other professionals to determine whether distracted driving was a factor in your accident. If distracted driving was a factor, Florida law allows you to recover damages from the negligent driver for lost income, medical expenses, and other costs related to your accident.
Are you looking for an experienced Miami Gardens car accident attorney? Contact the Flaxman Law Group to speak to a compassionate and experienced personal injury attorney today. The Flaxman Law Group will be happy to arrange a free, confidential consultation for you to discuss your case with an experienced attorney. There is no obligation and no cost for this consultation, so you can get the facts about your case at no risk.