Unfortunately, Florida has earned a reputation for insurance fraud and staged car accidents. A number of frauds of this type have been uncovered across the state over the past few years and insurance carriers have scrambled to address the issue. Many people continue to be the victims of these types of scams, however, and in some cases are seriously hurt because a fraudster is trying to get insurance money in a scam. According to experts, there are several things you can do to prevent being a victim:
1) Be prepared for an accident before it happens. Have a good insurance policy in place so that you are protected in the event that you are in a car or truck accident in Miami or anywhere else. In your car, keep a camera. This way, if you are in a collision you can take photos of any injuries at the scene as well as all cars from every angle. In the event of a staged car crash, hard evidence is often enough to prove the scam and protect you.
2) If you are in a car collision, take down as much information as you can. Take photos, exchange information with other sat the scene, and note your first impressions as well as any details you remember.
3) Get referrals from people you trust. If you are in a traffic accident in Miami or any other community and need medical attention, a car mechanic, attorney, or another professional, do your research. Do not just accept referrals without checking them out. A common form of fraud is for scammers to refer targets to specific auto shops, attorneys, or medical professionals who are part of the scheme and will overcharge for basic services.
4) Trust your instincts. If you feel that something is not quite right, trust that gut instinct. Take down as much information as you possibly can and refuse to sign any paperwork until you have checked out the situation or have had the issue investigated.
5) Consult with an attorney for legal advice. Being accused of causing a car accident (a common tactic with fraudsters) can seriously affect your insurance rates and your driving record. If you are seriously injured in a car or truck collision in Miami or any community, you will want to consult with a personal injury attorney. If a scammer’s actions have caused your injuries, a personal injury attorney in Miami or your city can investigate the incident, can build a strong case, and can pursue compensation so that you do not have to pay for lost income, medical costs, and other expenses yourself.
Insurance fraud hurts everyone, but it is especially difficult for innocent victims. It is already frightening to be in a car accident, but it can be even more troubling to realize that you have been the victim of fraud. Since staged car accidents happen in a fraction of a second, any miscalculation or error on the part of a fraudster can cause serious and even life-threatening injuries to you and your passengers.
If you have been in a traffic accident in Southern Florida, get the facts about your legal rights and options. Contact the Flaxman Law Group today to arrange for a free case evaluation.