Tires are what keep your car on the ground and moving forward and they are crucial when it comes to safety. Tire problems can make it hard to steer your car or can make you lose control of your vehicle.
Unfortunately, defective and poorly maintained tires cause many accidents and tire blowouts in Hollywood and other cities across Southern Florida. There are a number of things you will want to do to ensure you reduce your risk of a tire-related crash:
- Check the date and condition of tires before you buy. Older tires, even if they are new, will not be as reliable because rubber deteriorates with time. This is why tires that have been in your garage for years may no longer be a good option, even if the treads are not worn.
- Keep an eye on recalls. Manufacturers of tires are supposed to ensure safe design and manufacturing processes. Nevertheless, dangerous and unsafe tires do make their way to consumers each year. If you have older tires, especially, check to make sure they are not listed in a recall.
- Check tires before you get in the car. Before any trip, check your tires. Even if you checked them a few hours ago, they may have deflated if you drove over a nail or sharp object without noticing. Checking ensures you don’t get any surprises and it’s an excellent habit that only takes an extra second.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Over-inflation can put you at risk of a tire blowout and under-inflation can affect your ability to control your vehicle and can cause your tires to wear out prematurely.
- Check your treads often. Once your tires start to develop low tread or start to be in poor repair, replace them promptly. Driving on tires that have low treads is very dangerous, especially if you encounter slipper conditions. Poor condition and low tread tires are some of the most common causes of traffic accidents.
- Find a good mechanic you trust. Your tires need to be installed correctly and you need someone to tell you when your tires need replacing. In addition, incorrect alignment, positioning, lubrication, or inflation can increase your risk of an accident, so it pays to find a professional who knows tires.
If you have been injured in a car crash due to any problems with tires or any other problems, contact Flaxman Law Group to find out whether you have a claim. You can reach our Hollywood, Miami, and Homestead offices online or by calling 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN). Your first consultation with a Hollywood car accident attorney at our firm is free of charge and comes with no obligation.