A study published in 2008 in the Journal of the American Medical Association studied federal election days between 1976 and 2007 and found that car collisions are more common during the voting hours on election day. In fact, 800 more people sustain serious injury and 24 more people sustain fatal injuries during voting hours on election day when compared with any other Tuesday during the months of November and October.
There are many types of car accidents which can occur on election day in Hollywood and across South Florida:
- Distracted driving accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- Right-of-way accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Rear end shunt accidents
- Intersection collisions
There are several reasons why car crashes in Hollywood and across the country may be more common on election day. People may simply be distracted, parking lots and venues may be overcrowded, and everyone may be focused on casting their ballot. Emotions can run high on election day and voters may be headed to unfamiliar spots to vote.
Fortunately, there are ways you can stay safe and reduce your risk of a collision on election day:
- Consider carpooling: Have someone else drive or take a taxi. Going together can reduce the congestion around voting stations and can help you, too. If you’re driving, you can ask a passenger to keep alert for signs or parking spots while you focus on driving.
- Give yourself more time than you think you need: Rushing to try to make it in before the polls close can make you speed and can be distracting in and of itself, which can lead to an increased risk of collisions.
- Put away any distractions: The day can be distracting enough for anyone, and you can expect larger crowds and heavier traffic. Put away mobile devices and other distractions so you can keep your focus on driving safely.
- Stay calm: Try to stay calm, even if others act aggressively or even if there are long lines. Work to make rational decisions and stay out of the way of anyone who is acting or driving aggressively.
Have you been injured in a car accident? Contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Hollywood car crash attorney. Our legal team has more than six decades of experience and Charles Flaxman is part of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, one of the most prestigious professional groups for trial attorneys.