Trying to catch a flight can be stressful. Getting to Miami airport or any airport area safely can be challenging because these areas tend to attract many people and many airports routinely undergo construction, which means detours, crowds, and difficulty getting around. Signage may not always be ideal and the inconvenience of missing a flight can mean you may be tempted to rush.
When you’re heading to Miami airport or any local airport from Hollywood, you may be at risk of a collision. People dropping off or picking up passengers can create a lot of chaos near the airport and drivers may be distracted by looking for a gate or drop-off area. In addition, airports can be confusing, with cars, taxis, pedestrians, and other road users all sharing the same space and all focused on getting to their next destination. If you are traveling early in the morning or late at night, you may also be dealing with fatigued or groggy drivers, further adding to the risk.
These tips can help you stay safe when you are headed to catch your flight:
- Set up alerts for yourself: Set up alerts about traffic on your phone so you will be notified if there is any construction or any slowdowns on the road to the airport. In addition, you can set up notifications so you’ll be altered if your flight is delayed, cancelled, or changed in any way. Knowing what is happening can help you make the best decisions possible to get to the airport safely.
- Understand where to park and where you need to go: Look over maps of the airport before you go and understand the route you’ll need to take. Figure out where your terminal is and where the closest parking to that terminal may be. If you are using long term parking, read up about to the rules and regulations so you know where to drop off your car and where to go to catch your flight. The less time you spend trying to figure out where to go, the more fully you can focus on driving safely.
- Reduce as many distractions as possible: Flying can be stressful and it’s not uncommon to feel distracted before you fly. Reduce distraction by printing your boarding pass at home or storing it on your phone and packing everything you need the day before you leave. Store your items in the trunk. That way, you’re not in the car trying to drive while also trying to determine whether you have your passport and the other items you need.
- Give yourself more time than you need: It’s better to spend some time at the airport before your flight than to be rushing to get to your gate on time. Allow for delays at the airport, construction around the airport, and traffic.
- Have someone else drive you: One of the best ways to get to the airport is to have someone else handle driving. Services which specialize in airport drop offs know exactly when to leave and often spent considerable time keeping up to date with traffic conditions so you don’t have to. Professional drivers are familiar with Miami airport and all local airports so they can get you to your gate on time. If you are leaving late and night or early in the morning, especially, using a shuttle or professional service can help you avoid driving when you’re sleepy.
If you are in a car accident on the way to the airport or at the airport, you may need to figure out whether you have a car accident claim or a premises liability claim. Contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Hollywood or Miami car accident attorney. Our legal team has more than 60 years of combined experience and can help you determine your legal next steps.