Car accidents in Homestead and across South Florida can occur for any number of reasons, including drunk driving, distraction, driver error, and more. These collisions can cause serious injuries, including spinal cord trauma, traumatic brain injuries, facial injuries, and even fatalities.
Fortunately, there are many ways you can avoid car accidents from happening in your community:
- Drive defensively: Thinking a few moves ahead and keeping your full focus on the road can prepare you for the unexpected, so when something surprising occurs, you’re more ready for it, allowing you to react quickly and avoid a collision.
- Have a plan if you’re going to be drinking: Taxis and public transit aren’t always an option in Homestead and other small communities. If you’re going to be drinking, have a plan for staying somewhere safely until morning or getting home safely with a designated driver. Since one plan for getting home safely may fall through, always have a backup plan, too.
- Think of driving as a skill: Most people overestimate their driving abilities. If you have lots of near misses or fender benders, you may have picked up some bad driving habits that need attention. Brushing up with a one-on-one instruction session or two can help you drive more safely and more confidently. Racing school, too, and help you get more control of the vehicle you drive, even on regular city streets. If it’s been a while since you have gotten instruction, pay for a few hours. It can be one of the best gifts you give yourself.
- Consider your car: Your own driving skills are only half the battle. Make sure the car you’re driving is in good working order and the brakes, tires, and other systems work as they should. Get your car regular tune-ups from a qualified mechanic and make sure you’re familiar with your vehicle. If you’re in the market for a new car, look for a newer car with all the latest safety systems, which can help you avoid car crashes or serious injury. Make sure to adjust your car seats, mirrors, and other components to your specific driving habits and your body.
- Choose your driving routes carefully: Stay aware of the weather, road conditions and traffic before you head somewhere. Use apps to choose the best routes to your destination and never drive when you’re distracted, angry, or fatigued.
If you’ve been in a car accident caused by someone’s recklessness or negligence, you may have a legal claim to seek compensation for your injuries. To find out whether you have a claim, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Homestead car collision attorney.