The news has been filled with safety warnings about ride share services following a high-profile case in New Jersey, where a woman was murdered after getting into what she believed was her ride share car. Attacks on passengers and even car accidents can occur with ride sharing services, so it can be useful to follow a few tips to keep safe:
- Stay inside when you are waiting for a rideshare. This allows you to see how your driver is operating their vehicle before they pull up. If they are driving erratically, you can be safe inside and so avoid a pedestrian accident. You are also less of a target if you are inside.
- Know what car you are waiting for. Check the license plate, model, and make of the car before you get in. Use the ride share app to verify the driver’s photo. If anything does not match up, do not get in the car.
- If you are traveling alone, take a quick photo of the car and text it to a friend. Stay on the phone so you can contact help fast if anything illegal happens.
- Never get in a car you assume is your ride share without asking first. Ask the driver who they are waiting to pick up. Your specific driver will have your name from the app.
- Trust your instincts. If your driver is driving erratically or is acting strangely and you feel unsafe at any time, ask to be dropped off at once. Get out of the car and call for help.
What Can You Do if You Are in a Car Accident in Homestead or Florida in a Rideshare?
If you are in a ride share and are attacked or injured in a car accident, there are several things you will want to do. Mainly, you will want to get immediate medical help. Even if you are not sure you are injured, keep in mind that it can be very difficult for someone who is not a medical professional to evaluate their own medical condition. Many serious injuries, including head injuries, trauma, whiplash, soft tissue injuries, and other serious injuries may not be obvious right away.
You will want to document as much as possible, starting as early as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, the car, and the surrounding area. Exchange contact information with the driver and make sure the driver reports any accident.
Car accident claims involving rideshare are more complex because the rideshare company will typically have large insurance companies protecting them. If you are injured, it is important to contact a Homestead car accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your own interests.
If you are injured in a car accident, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Homestead car accident lawyer. Our legal team has decades of combined experience and can help you explore your legal options for securing fair compensation so you can pay for medical costs, lost time at work, and other damages. Contact us today to find out more.