Construction areas can be especially hazardous in Homestead when it comes to accidents. Work sites often mean unexpected conditions and a combination of work vehicles, cars, and pedestrians on the road. Traffic may be slowed or stopped, leading to frustration and even collisions. In addition, the road itself may have hazards. The road area may be unpaved or lanes may be closed, forcing you to drive in ways you may not be used to.
Construction is a fact of life in Homestead and other communities. However, there are several ways you can stay safe on Florida roads, even in construction season:
- Avoid construction where possible. Take a look at your route before you leave the house. Current road work in Florida is listed on the FDOT website and the federal DOT site. Local traffic updates on the radio or your phone can also help you avoid congested routes, too.
- Slow down. If you approach an area with cones, slow down and give yourself some extra space in front of you. You need to be able to see the signs and have time to react to any dangerous conditions on the roads. Remember that speed fines are higher in construction areas, too.
- Stay alert. Put your cell phone and other distractions away and don’t spend your time trying to see what work is taking place. Put your whole focus on getting through the area safely. This is not a time for distraction.
- Follow directions. Look for signs and workers, indicating where you need to drive and noting any detours. Always follow the signs or the instructions of workers on the site. If signage appears to be missing or is incomplete, contact the city to alert them to the possible danger.
- Communicate on the road. Make eye contact with other drivers in the area and any construction workers on site. This ensures they can see you and are aware of your presence.
- Be prepared for the unexpected. Conditions can change very quickly on a work site, so be prepared to react quickly. Look out for debris, sudden and unexpected maneuvers by workers and equipment, and other dangers.
If you are injured in a traffic accident in a construction site, contact a Homestead personal injury attorney to talk about your legal options. You may have the ability to seek compensation for your lost work time, medical bills, and other costs. To find out more, schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a Homestead construction site accident attorney by contacting Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN).