The Fourth of July is rapidly approaching and most people this week will be solidifying their plans for a successful Independence Day weekend. The perfect Fourth of July weekend usually includes a barbecue, a party, and some fireworks. However, it is also a time when many Florida drunk driving accidents happen. Even if you do not plan on drinking, it is important to develop a contingency plan now. That way, if you are offered beer or find yourself choosing to drink this holiday weekend, you will have a plan in place to get some safely. Here’s how to create your plan:
1) Write down your plans for the weekend so that you can plan ahead. Will you be far from home this holiday weekend? Will you need to travel from one party to the next? Who will accompany you to the party? Is there anyone who can be a designated driver? Working things out on paper allows you to notice any problems areas and any parts of your plan that need some work.
2) Once you know where you will be for the weekend, create a list of taxi cab companies, bus routes, 24-hour events and restaurants, and hotels in the area. You can also bring a mobile device so that you have this information at your fingertips. Even if you plan on not drinking and have a designated driver, you need to have a plan B and a plan C in case you do find yourself drinking and unable to get home safely.
3) Make a list of all the ways you could avoid drinking and driving on the Fourth of July, and be sure to bring a list of everyone you could phone to get a safe ride home. Be sure to bring enough money for taxis or buses and tuck this information into your wallet.
4) Check online to find out what public transportation will be available on the Fourth of July and print out any information you need. Many communities make alternative forms of transportation available over the holiday weekend.
5) If you have teen drivers in your home, have them sign a pledge not to drink and drive and make sure that they have a plan for getting home safely during the holiday weekend.
The Flaxman Law Group would like to wish everyone in Miami, Homestead, Hollywood, and surrounding South Florida communities a safe and happy Fourth of July. We would also like to remind everyone to drive safely. If you are in a car accident in South Florida, you can always contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free consultation. Our phones will be staffed on the Fourth of July and on all holidays as well, so that you can always reach someone when you need to.