Emergencies can happen at any time. In addition to being stuck after a serious car accident in Hollywood or any South Florida community, your car could break down in a remote location or a bad storm could trap you in your car for a prolonged time. Being ready gives you the best chances of getting out of the situation safely.
Your Emergency Kit
The cornerstone of your emergency plan is your car emergency kit. You can keep you kit in the trunk in suitcase or large plastic tub. You will want to include:
- Plastic water bottles, which you switch out every six months
- A portable water filter
- Non-perishable food, such as energy bars or jerky
- A blanket
- A solar blanket, which can also be used to signal for help
- A first aid kit
- Emergency whistle
- A spare set of shoes and clothes
- Small shovel
- Fire extinguisher
- Road maps
- Gas jerry can (empty)
- Insurance information
- Windshield fluid
- Jumper cables
- Sturdy nylon rope
Preparing for an Emergency
Once you have an emergency kit, you will still want to prepare for an emergency so you can use your kit. Here are some tips to get ready:
- Know what to do: Have an emergency plan. If you were stuck in your car, what could you do? How could you contact for help? What might you need? Consider different situations, such as severe storms, and plan step by step what you would need to do to keep safe. Consider keeping a list of survival tips or safety tips in your car with your emergency kit.
- Keep your car in good shape: Proper maintenance means your car is less likely to break down in the first place, so your risk of serious emergencies is reduced.
- Be familiar with where you’re driving: When you’re headed to a new area, know where police and emergency help is and keep track of gas stations. Know where dead zones for cell phone coverage so you’re not caught by surprise and if you’re traveling to any remote areas, keep current, printed maps of the area to orient yourself.
- Be familiar with your car: Know what emergency systems, alarms, and communication systems your car has. Can you contact for help right from your car? Are there features that can help in case of an emergency? The best time to find out is before an emergency occurs.
Have you been injured in a car accident or another preventable incident caused by someone’s negligence? Has a negligent car manufacturer caused serious injuries by creating an unsafe car? If you’re in this kind of situation, phone Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 or contact us online to schedule a free, no obligation case consultation. We can put our more than 60 years of combined experience to work in helping you understand whether you have a claim.