At this time of year, many Hollywood residents are spending more time in retail centers across South Florida. You are likely driving to many shopping areas to cross off your holiday shopping list. Unfortunately, so is everyone else. The added traffic and the realities of holiday driving can put you at risk of car accidents in Hollywood and across South Florida.
Surprisingly, parking lots are one of the sites where accidents can easily happen. Even though these accidents tend not to be fatal, they can be devastating. It is not uncommon for these collisions to lead to fractures, head injuries, crushing injuries, and even fatalities. Parking lots at this time of year get very busy and they include shoppers walking around, children running around, cars, and large trucks making deliveries. All of these people and vehicles sharing a small space can result in collisions.
If you’d like to avoid parking lot accident, make sure you follow these tips:
- Consider doing some of your shopping online: Doing at least some of your shopping online reduces the stress of having to drive everywhere. It can also ease some of the congestion at shopping centres.
- Consider less busy times: Try to get your shopping done early, before the big seasonal rush. In addition, consider shopping during early afternoons or mornings, when there are fewer shoppers around. Try to avoid Saturday afternoons and the busiest times of the week.
- Make sure you shop when you are in shape to do so: Make sure you are sober, well rested, and not distracted when you head out shopping. Give yourself plenty of time to shop and to park properly. You are at more of a risk of an accident when you are tired, unfocused, unwell, not sober or otherwise not fit to be driving
- Look for well lit areas: When parking, make sure you are parking in a high visibility area. This lets you see whether you are parking correctly and it also reduces the risk that you will be in a pedestrian accident because another car cannot see you when you exit or enter your car.
- Always follow the signage in the parking lot: The signage is there to help you. Follow the rules of the road.
- Slow down: Drive slowly through parking lots and always check your blind spots, especially when backing up. If you have one, use your rear-view camera. Keep in mind some children may be playing or walking around the parking lot unattended.
- Shop without kids if possible: Children can get excited by the holiday displays and can wander off or can act out, posing a distraction to you. If you do need to shop with your children, keep them with you at all times and do not let them wander off in the parking lot.
If you have been injured in a car accident or parking lot accident in Hollywood or anywhere in South Florida, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Hollywood car accident attorney.