Tourists are quite common in Hollywood, Miami, and other parts of southern Florida. At this time of year, events and the summer season mean that tourists are arriving across the region. While tourists do bring a great boost to the economy, they may not be familiar with local streets or even local laws and driving conditions, which can put them at risk of pedestrian car accidents in Hollywood and other local communities.
If you live in the area, you will want to take steps now to help prevent car accidents involving tourists:
- Expect the unexpected. Always drive defensively, planning your next three moves. Keep both hands on the wheel for maximum control. Be prepared for unusual activities, such as poor signaling, unexpected stops, and other behaviours. Keep in mind that tourists may be looking for a hotel or attraction in a neighborhood where they are not familiar with their surroundings and this can make their driving less than smooth.
- Avoid busy tourist events. Major tourist events and attractions mean heavy traffic as well as lots of tourists who may not be familiar with local weather and driving conditions. Listen to weather reports and traffic reports and consider taking alternate routes if you will be stuck in traffic where serious accidents are more likely.
- Drive sober. Always drive so you can maintain full control of your vehicle. Even if you have had only a few drinks are still under the legal limit, if you are buzzed, you are in greater danger of a crash.
- Drive alert. Put away any distractions and get ready to place your full focus on the road. Keep in mind that distracted driving in Hollywood doesn’t just mean texting while driving. It can mean daydreaming or being unfocused, taking your hands off the wheel, or otherwise not being fully involved in driving. All of these behaviours put you at an increased risk of a crash.
- Talk to young drivers about car safety. If you have teen driver in your household and this is their first summer, make sure you talk to them about the dangers of driving in your area, including the dangers involved with tourists. Make sure teens understand the dangers that new visitors pose and encourage them to plan their routes to avoid the heaviest congested areas.
Have you been injured by a visitor to the area? Getting insurance can be more complicated when rental cars, out of state or out of country insurance, and other factors are involved. In this case, you want to ensure you have fair compensation to help pay for your lost income, medical bills, car repairs, and other losses.
To get assistance, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) to speak to a Hollywood car accident attorney in a free, no obligation consultation. Our attorneys have more than sixty years of combined experience and have recovered tens of millions of dollars on behalf of thousands injured plaintiffs in the South Florida area. We answer our phones and offer straightforward legal advice and representation.