Many car and truck accidents in Medley and other South Florida communities are entirely preventable. According to research, the majority of car accidents in Medley and across the country are caused by driver error and by preventable driver error and other causes, including:
1) Fatigue. Fatigued driving causes traffic accidents in Medley and across the country because drivers who are tired can fall asleep at the wheel and lose control of their car at any time. Even if drivers do not fall asleep, their response times and motor skills are similar to those of drunk drivers, according to research. Getting adequate sleep and treating any unexplained fatigue or sleeping disorders promptly is important if you want to avoid traffic collisions.
2) Alcohol and drugs. Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents in Medley and other communities continues to be a problem, despite awareness campaigns and stricter DUI laws. In addition to alcohol, drugs (including over-the-counter medications, prescription drugs, and controlled substances) can also cause drowsiness or can affect motor skills and response times, leading to a traffic accident. If you are taking any medications, it is important to discuss them with your pharmacist in order to find out whether they will affect your driving skills. It is also important to avoid driving if you have been using any controlled substances.
3) Distraction. Distracted driving has been in the news a great deal because there have been many recent research studies about the number of cell phone related car accidents in Miami, Medley, and many other communities. Studies have shown that distracted driving contributes to many accidents and as a result Florida lawmakers have been trying to pass laws which would make texting and driving illegal. In the meantime, many advocacy groups have been trying to raise awareness about the fact that any activity that removes your eyes or mind from the road or your hands from the wheel is potentially distracting and can cause an accident.
4) Speeding. Speeding leads to many car accidents in Medley and across South Florida because it does not give you enough time to stop the vehicle or maneuver to avoid a collision. In some cases, speeding can cause you to lose control of the car, especially on turns or on roads where the surface is uneven. Speeding is one of the most easily avoided causes of car accidents.
5) Driver inexperience and lack of skill. Teen drivers have higher accident rates than experienced drivers, and a great deal of it has to do with the fact that teen drivers simply have not yet developed the skills and good habits of more experienced drivers. Driving experts recommend that parents only gradually give their teens driving privileges and to ensure that teens get additional driver training and one-on-one training with a driving professional.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Medley or any other Sothern Florida community, there are Florida laws designed to protect you. To find out about your options, contact the Flaxman Law Group at any time to arrange for a free, no obligation consultation.