Some research suggests that truck accidents in Homestead and other communities can become more of a problem around the holidays. There are a few reasons for this:
1) More traffic. During holidays, such as the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend, there are often more drivers on the road. In addition to people taking time away from school and work, there may be more cars and trucks on the road as people complete holiday shopping and as people visit friends or family for holiday events. More traffic can increase the risk of pedestrian accidents in Homestead as well as car accidents around the South Florida area.
2) Slower traffic. More traffic often means slower traffic, congestion, and other problems which can lead to road rage, driver frustration, and aggressive or reckless driving. Unfortunately, in many cases slowed down traffic and tight holiday schedules combine to make drivers take dangerous risks with their lives.
3) It may be harder to see aggressive drivers because of the heavy traffic. When you’re surrounded by heavy traffic during holiday rush hour or during a particularly slow section of traffic, it can be harder to spot aggressive or dangerous drivers. This can make it harder to respond appropriately in order to avoid a rear end car accident or other car accident in Homestead or your community.
4) Drinking and driving can become an issue. Unfortunately, even though all drivers understand the risks of drinking and driving, drunk driving accidents in Homestead and across South Florida continue to be an issue. With holiday parties and get-togethers, alcohol is often served and in some cases revelers make poor choices after drinking, causing DUI accidents.
5) Unique routes and unfamiliar routes. For the holidays, many people head out to see friends or family or drive to special holiday events. This can take them along unfamiliar routes, along longer routes, and to new places where they may not be aware of traffic risks and other issues. If you are traveling this holiday season, make sure that you start planning now in order to choose a route that you are most comfortable with.
6) More truck traffic for stores and businesses. In the few months leading up to the holiday season at the end of the year, many retailers are stepping up their business plans in order to sell more products and services. This time of year is especially busy in terms of truck traffic as products are shipped to stores and to and from customers. More truck traffic, unfortunately, can increase the risk of truck accidents in Homestead and other Florida cities.
The attorneys at Flaxman Law Group hope that your holiday season will be a safe and enjoyable one with your family. Our phone lines will continue to be staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week even during Thanksgiving and later holidays. If you’re ever in a car or truck accident and are injured, you can always reach us for a free, no obligation consultation to review your legal options for compensation with a personal injury attorney.