Now that school is about to start, the morning and afternoon commutes may become more hectic. Hollywood car accidents and pedestrian accidents are a concern for parents and drivers during the school year, since there are more vehicles on the road and more children walking to and from school.
Whether you are a driver or parent, there are some ways we can all work together to make this school safer for all South Florida school children:
- If you are a driver, slow down and stay focused. Put away distractions and stay alert for School Speed Zones, school buses, and children. Slow down and obey speed limits. If you are driving during the morning and afternoon commute, especially, stay alert for the unexpected. Children may run into the road or cars may stop unexpectedly to pick up or drop off children.
- Know the state laws for school buses. If a school bus is stopped with an extended stop arm and light, you must stop.
- If you are a parent, teach your children about bus stop safety. Teach them not to throw things into the road and not to run into traffic. Discuss ways they can stay safe when waiting for the bus.
- Stay alert for the danger of back overs. As you back out of your driveway or away from a spot where you are dropping off your children, scan your blind spots. Children who may be walking to school or riding a bicycle may not easily visible in your rearview mirror. You may wish to get a rear view and front view camera for your car so you can see anything which is in front or behind your car clearly.
- Know where school zones and residential areas are on your commute. Use extra caution in these areas. Children may be focused on getting to school and may not be thinking about safety.
- Be aware of the dangers of sleepy driving. Adjusting to a new morning routine when school starts can be challenging for everyone. Try to ease into a school routine by retiring early and waking early in the weeks before school begins, so you can get used to the new schedule. Set up your mornings so you give yourself plenty of time to get to school and don’t have to drive distracted or sleepy due to a rushed morning.
- Plan for your children to get to school safely. If your child is old enough to go to school themselves, sit down with them before school starts to review their route and basic safety rules. Consider walking to biking to school with them so they can practice navigating the route safely.
- Set up safe carpools. Many parents choose to carpool to prevent rushed mornings and to reduce congestion around schools. This is a good time to review your carpool options and to go over rules for the carpool. Set up a big calendar at home so your family can see the carpool schedule and everyone’s activities.
If you or your child are injured during the school commute, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) to speak to a Hollywood car accident attorney. Your first consultation with us is always free and comes with no obligation, so you risk nothing by getting information about your potential case.