Driver fatigue is a state of physical and mental exhaustion that reduces your ability to drive safely. It can impair your alertness, reaction time, decision-making, and concentration. It can also increase your risk of making errors or even falling asleep at the wheel.
At Flaxman Law Group, we have worked with many car collision survivors who have lost loved ones or who have sustained serious injuries in car crashes caused by someone who was simply too fatigued to drive safely.
The tragedy is that these accidents are entirely preventable, and they leave survivors with medical bills, losses, and pain and suffering. If you’ve been injured in any car accident in Hollywood or anywhere in South Florida, you can always call Flaxman Law Group 24/7 at 866-352-9626 to speak to accident attorney Charles Flaxman who will answer your questions.
What Causes Driver Fatigue Accidents in Hollywood?
What causes driver fatigue? There are many factors that can contribute to fatigue, such as:
- Lack of sleep
- Low quality sleep, caused by poor sleep conditions
- Long hours of work or driving
- Shift work or irregular schedules
- Time of day (the urge to sleep is strongest in the early morning hours)
- Monotonous tasks or long periods of inactivity
- Health problems that affect sleep quality or cause drowsiness
- Medications that cause drowsiness
- Alcohol or drug use
However, fatigued driving is completely preventable. Drivers who are not on a condition to drive can and should seek another way to get to their destination. Other ways to prevent driver fatigue include:
- A regular sleep schedule
- Good sleep habits, such as sleeping in a quiet, dark room
- Visiting a doctor if you have a medical condition or suspect you may have a condition that affects your sleep
- Talking to your pharmacist to ensure none of your medications cause drowsiness
- Planning longer trips ahead of time and scheduling stops
If you still find yourself sleepy when driving, don’t rely on energy drinks or caffeine. Their effect is very temporary. The best option is to have someone else drive or to pull over and find a place to nap for 15-20 minutes.
What Should You Do If a Drowsy Driver Causes Your Injury?
If you are involved in an accident caused by driver fatigue, seek medical attention immediately. You may have injuries that are not apparent right away, such as whiplash, concussion, or internal bleeding.
You should also contact a Hollywood car accident injury lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer can help you protect your rights and interests, and pursue compensation for your damages. Driver fatigue can be hard to prove in court, but a personal injury lawyer can gather expert and witness testimony to support your claim.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by driver fatigue, contact Flaxman Law Group 24/7 at 866-352-9626 for a free consultation with a Hollywood car accident attorney. We will review your case and advise you on your possible courses of action. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing unless we win your case.