July 4 is a fun holiday, but Miami-Dade County and Broward County authorities have noted that each year this holiday can mean an increased risk of drunk driving and car accidents in Hollywood, Miami, and other communities in the region.
At Flaxman Law Group, we wish you and your family a safe and happy July 4. To make the day even safer, we’d like to remind everyone about these driving tips:
- Check traffic before leaving to go to events. In Hollywood, July 4 events will take place at Blue Wave beach and in Miami many celebrations are slated for Bayfront Park. You can expect heavy traffic in these areas. Check conditions before you travel and consider taking public transit or alternative forms of transportation to avoid road rage and frustration. Leaving your car at home can also reduce your risk of drinking and driving.
- Use public transit. Broward County Transit will be operating on a Sunday schedule, as will Metrobus, Metrorail and Metromover in Miami-Dade County. Check schedules and public transit routes ahead of time, set aside money for a cab and have some cab company numbers in your phone.
- Set up a designated driver. Having one person in your group who does not drink ensures you have a safe way to get home. However, even if you have a designated driver, have an alternative way to get home, just in case you get separated or your driver does decide to drink.
- Consider the dangers of drowsy driving. While drunk driving in Miami and Hollywood gets a lot of attention, drowsy driving is just as dangerous. If you are out celebrating July 4 until late, you may simply be too tired to drive home safely. Have a plan to get home safely if you find yourself too fatigued to drive.
- Put away all distractions. Cell phones, tablets, and even hands-free devices take your mind off driving and your eyes off the road. Drive distraction-free to stay safe. Keep in mind that on July 4 there may be heavy traffic and some drivers may choose to drink and drive. You need to keep your full focus on driving to deal with these hazards on the road.
- Consider staying overnight. Getting a hotel room or staying at a friend’s house may be a smart choice if you are headed somewhere remote on July 4. Staying overnight will eliminate the risk of drowsy driving and will give you a chance to sober up before getting in the car.
- Go to alcohol-free events. Avoiding alcohol can help you avoid buzzed driving and drunk driving and ensures you are sober so you can make good judgements about your safety. Keep in mind that if you drink you are not just at risk of drunk driving. You are also at risk of pedestrian accidents and may be a bigger target for thieves and fraudsters. Limiting and avoiding alcohol can help you stay safer overall.
If you do find yourself in a car collision in Hollywood or anywhere in Miami-Dade County or Broward County, contact Flaxman Law Group. Our phone lines are staffed 24/7, so you can always reach a live person if you need to.