Drug related car collisions in Cutler Bay cause serious injuries and even fatalities each year. These preventable crashes are caused by a range of substances and if you find yourself in a collision due to drug-taking you may face serious injury, a long recovery period, and significant out-of-pocket costs.
Drug Abuse Can Lead to Serious Accidents
Use of many substances can lead to collisions, including:
- Prescription drugs
- Over-the-counter medication
Any medication or substance which affects response times or perceptions of reality can severely impair a driver. Even medication prescribed by a qualified doctor or purchased over the counter can be dangerous if they cause you to be sleepy or if they affect your vision. These collisions can cause:
- Spinal cord injury
- Crushing injuries
- Brain trauma
- Other injuries
- Emotional trauma
When someone is not only using but abusing substances, they may be more likely to take enough of a drug to alter their mood or response times, making them more at risk behind the wheel.
Preventing Drug-Related Car Collisions in Cutler Bay
To reduce the risk of a drug-related traffic collision, make sure you:
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist: Understand any potential side effects of any medication you take, including any over-the-counter medication. Make sure you understand the correct dose and whether it is safe for you to drive during your treatment.
- Keep an eye on symptoms: Even if your doctor tells you it’s okay to drive when using your medication, take stock of your symptoms regularly. If you notice any mobility issues, vision problems, fatigue, or any other unusual symptoms after starting a medication, contact your pharmacist or doctor for advice. If your symptoms could affect your driving, refrain from driving until the symptoms are resolved.
- Get help if you need it: If you are struggling with dependency, there is help available.
- When in doubt, don’t get behind the wheel: If you have used or taken any substance which could impact reaction times, alertness, mobility, vision, or your perception of reality, don’t drive. Find an alternative way to get around, for your own safety and the safety of others.
If you have been injured by someone who has been reckless or has driven under the influence, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Cutler Bay car collision attorney. Our team has more than six decades of combined experience and we’d be happy to discuss your potential case.