Hit by a Tourist?: What Happens When You are in a Car Accident With Someone From Out of Town

Being in a car accident in Hollywood or anywhere in South Florida is terrifying enough, but what happens when the driver of the other vehicle is not from South Florida? Dealing with a driver from another state or even another country can add to the complication of a crash and can even make it difficult for you to seek compensation in some cases.


If you get out of the car after a car collision and find that the at-fault driver may be from out of town or out of state, there are several things you’ll want to do:

1) Keep differences in mind.

If you are dealing with someone from another state or another country, it may be more difficult to communicate. The other driver may be more used to a different insurance process or they may not even speak English. Stay sensitive to the differences between you, but also keep in mind how these differences could affect your claim.

2) Get contact information.

Get the contact information and insurance information for the other driver. Get the contact information of any witnesses as well as the information about the car that the driver was driving. This can be especially important if the other driver is in a rental car. If you cannot trace the driver easily through the information they have provided or if they have provided some information that is incorrect, having key details about the vehicle can help you contact the rental company, which can help you track the driver.

3) Get photos of the car accident scene, if possible.

Gather as much documentation about the accident as you can. Take photos of any debris, property damage, car damage, or injuries at the scene. Take photos of the accident scene itself, from multiple angles and distances if possible. The more information you have, the easier it can be for an investigator or personal injury attorney to determine exactly what happened to cause the crash.

4) Get legal help.

Cases involving an out-of-state or foreign-language driver can be more complex. Always consult with a personal injury attorney to review all of your options. A personal injury attorney can help you understand what options you may have and what steps you can take to protect your interests in this type of collision. If the insurance company representing the other driver proves difficult, an attorney has the resources to deal with this situation.

5) Report the accident.

Report the accident to the police and to your insurance company. Speak with a personal injury attorney immediately following the accident so that you know what you should and shouldn’t say in your report of the crash.

Do you need to speak with a personal injury attorney immediately? If you have been in a car accident and have been injured, do not hesitate to contact Flaxman Law Group. Our attorneys have dealt with plaintiffs from South Florida and with at-fault drivers from around the world. We understand what legal options exist in these cases and we will work to help you understand what legal rights you have. Contact us today for a free case analysis.

Client Reviews
Mr. Flaxman is highly skilled and very pleasant to work with. He communicated with me at every step in the process, and clearly presented information relating to my case. To anyone considering retaining his firm, I highly recommend him. Clara Barman
THE BEST. Honest, very knowledgeable, fast and easy. has helped me in numerous situations and has never failed me. Joe Gee
Charlie is a very skilled attorney that advocates hard for his clients. But the best part is he is an all around great guy. He cares about helping and doing what is right for people and his community. And he is not afraid to fight against those who do wrong or against threats to our world. He is fluent in Spanish as well. Do yourself a favor and call him. Andy
I had a lawyer on another case and I never spoke to the lawyer and I hated that I never knew what was going on in my case. Mr. Flaxman was in constant communication with me, explained everything to me, and his staff was really great too. My phone calls were always returned immediately. It was refreshing to be able to speak to my attorney personally. I would HIGHLY recommend Mr. Flaxman as an attorney to anyone who has been in an accident. Gloria
I found Mr. Flaxman to be an excellent attorney for my personal injury case. This is actually the second time I have used him and he really represented my interests. He explained everything thoroughly and he was very available for my questions. Carol
Contact Information