Your holiday plans can have a big impact on your risk of car accidents during the holiday season. At this time of year, a number of factors can mean an increased risk of car accidents. Busy streets, heavier traffic, and hectic schedules all play a role. This time of year also coincides with flu season, which can mean drivers are tired and distracted by illness. In addition, drinks are served at many holiday events, making drinking and driving a concern across the country.
If you live in Hollywood, Coral Gables or anywhere in South Florida, you will want to plan ahead in a few specific ways:
- Have a plan for shopping and holiday errands. Running holiday errands such as shopping can be distracting and can lead to distracted driving accidents. Consider grouping errands in the same location rather than driving back and forth. Or, think about leveraging some errands to others or using online services to save you some driving time and risk.
- Plan ahead for holiday events. Take out your calendar and look at the holiday events you have coming up. Are you traveling to see family? Will you be hosting events, going to office get-togethers or have plans for extra shopping? Many of these activities will involve driving or transportation at some point and it can be useful to plan ahead. Know how you are getting to every event and consider using public transit or carpooling to reduce your risk of fatigued or drunk driving.
- Plan ahead to arrive sober and safe. Designate a driver, have money for cabs and understand the shuttle services and drive safe services available in your community. Before you start drinking, have a solid plan so you will be less tempted to get in a car after you are intoxicated.
- Take a look at your car. The holidays mean extra stress on your car as you drive to see friends and family and as you run errands. Get a car checkup for the holiday season to ensure your car is safe to drive, especially if you’ll be driving long distances to see loved ones.
- Make New Year’s Eve arrangements. If your celebrating may include any alcohol, consider booking a shuttle, driver, or hotel room now. New Year’s Eve celebrations are hectic and if you wait until that night it may take a long time to wait for a taxi or other safe ride home. Make it a priority to find safe transportation to ring in the New Year so you can reduce your risk of a DUI accident in Coral Springs or your community.
Throughout the holidays, our phone lines will continue to be staffed, so you can reach an attorney if you have been injured and need help. You can always contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN).