Miami is a hotspot for vintage, classic, and historic cars. Florida residents love collecting cars from decades past and with no ice and snow, the state is the ideal place to enjoy a beautiful collector car.
Any car accident in Miami can be traumatic, but it can especially daunting when it involves a one-of-a-kind vintage or historic car. The process of making a collector car insurance claim can also be daunting. Fortunately, Flaxman Law Group is here to help.
What To Do After a Collector Car Accident in Miami
If you have been in an accident involving a historic or collector car, the value of the car can make emotions run high. In this situation, there are a few things you’ll want to do:
- Stay calm and do not discuss fault at the scene.
- If the accident is minor, move the cars out of the way and take steps to prevent a secondary accident.
- Call for help if you smell gas or see fire, and keep everyone away from the car.
- Call emergency services if someone is injured, and do not move severely injured persons unless emergency responders tell you to or unless a life is at stake.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver and any witnesses and insurance information with the other driver.
- Contact the police to report the accident and get a copy of the police report.
- Take photos of the accident scene and jot down as many details as you can remember.
- Get medical help for any injuries you may have suffered.
- Contact your car insurance company.
- Contact a car accident injury claims attorney to help you with the complex process of filing a claim.
Getting Help After a Miami Vintage Car Crash
The costs of a car accident involving a collector’s car can be astronomical for a few reasons:
- The costs of repairs and the parts needed are much higher, since these are specialty items and services.
- Some parts may no longer be available, meaning the car may not be repairable.
- Vintage and classic cars do not have today’s safety equipment, so injuries may be more severe.
- Many car owners rent their cars, show them at car events, and otherwise use them for money-making purposes, so there may be lost income opportunity as well.
- It can take months to order parts when they are available, so it can be hard to tell what the repair costs will be for a while.
- Collector cars tend to appreciate in value, so the value of the car may be higher than when you purchased it.
- The repair process, when possible, can take many months with a vintage car, and you may need a rental or other car during that time.
For all these reasons, filing a car accident claim involving a classic or historic car can be far more complicated. Even getting an estimate of repair costs can take some time, and insurance companies want to resolve claims inexpensively and quickly.
If it’s your classic car and not your daily driver that’s been in an accident, you need someone in your corner, protecting your investment and interests. Contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Miami car accident claims attorney.