Pedestrian accidents in Florida continue to be a pressing issue, resulting in devastating injuries and loss of life. At Flaxman Law Group, our pedestrian accident attorneys work with individuals whose lives have been forever changed by negligent drivers.
Pedestrian accidents occur when a person on foot is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, bicycle, motorcycle, or other vehicle. Unfortunately, pedestrians are particularly vulnerable, since they lack the protection afforded by a vehicle’s safety features. They are more likely to suffer fatalities and serious injuries.
Common causes of these collisions include:
- Distracted driving.
- Speeding and reckless driving.
- Failure to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, intersections, or while making turns.
- Impaired driving.
Understanding Your Rights as a Florida Pedestrian
As a pedestrian, it is essential to be aware of your rights. Here are key points to remember:
- Pedestrians generally have the right of way in crosswalks and intersections, particularly when traffic signals or pedestrian signals indicate their turn to proceed.
- If a driver’s negligence or recklessness causes an accident resulting in pedestrian injuries, they can be held legally responsible for the damages, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other losses.
- Florida follows the principle of comparative negligence, which means that even if a pedestrian is partially at fault, they can still seek compensation, although the amount may be reduced in proportion to their degree of responsibility.
- While you have rights as a pedestrian, it’s not uncommon for pedestrians to be blamed for a car accident. Motorists will sometimes blame the person they have hit, which is why it’s important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to create a strong case.
- Pedestrian accidents also tend to be more expensive for injury sufferers, which is another reason to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. Pedestrians are more likely to suffer serious injuries that require complex medical care and long times away from work. If you’ve been injured, seeking fair compensation is important so you don’t pay these costs out of pocket.
Reducing the Risk of Florida Pedestrian Accidents
There are many things our communities can do to make a difference and prevent pedestrian accidents:
- Educate both pedestrians and drivers about the importance of following traffic rules and respecting one another’s rights on the road.
- Enhance crosswalks, install pedestrian-friendly traffic signals, and implement traffic-calming measures.
- Strengthen law enforcement efforts to ensure compliance traffic regulations.
- Raise awareness about pedestrian safety and organize initiatives such as pedestrian safety campaigns and driver education programs.
Pedestrian accidents are tragic and preventable incidents. If you’re injured while walking in Miami, or any South Florida community, call Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation with an attorney. Our phone lines are staffed 24/7 so you can always reach a live person when you’ve been injured.
Our law offices are located in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood, and serve the entire South Florida area. Our team has already secured over $100 million for injured plaintiffs across South Florida, so if you’re injured call on us for a free consultation.