If you sustain injuries in a car accident in Davie or another community, you may assume that car insurance will cover the costs of your injuries. After all, that is what you pay premiums for. Unfortunately, many people who sustain serious injuries – such as head injuries – in Davie and South Florida after being in a car accident find that they have issues after being in a traffic accident. You may face some of these same issues when you try to file a claim:
1) The insurance company may dispute your claim. The insurance company may accuse you of insurance fraud or may dispute some medical charges or other claims that you have made – even if they are valid.
2) The insurance company may not consider longer-term costs or all costs. In many cases, insurance companies look at immediate medical costs and related costs. However, if you have sustained a serious injury you may face months or even years of recovery time. You may need home care, accessibility features for your home and car, rehabilitation, medication, and other assistance on the road to recovery – and insurance companies often do not take these total long-term costs into account.
3) The insurance company will want to settle claims quickly and inexpensively. In many cases, an insurance carrier will want to settle a claim quickly – before the full extent of your injuries and possible long-term expenses are even known. This can make it harder for you to get the fair compensation you may need to recover fully and to get the medical care you need.
4) Thanks to new legislation, if you are visiting Florida at the time of your accident, your insurance carrier may not honor your claims. Since January 1, a new law has required all international drivers in Florida to have an international driver’s permit (IDP). The idea behind the law was to make sure that all drivers in Florida had a driver’s license translated into English. However, many visitors to Florida are not aware of the law and when they find themselves in a traffic collision in Davie or another South Florida city they find they have a hard time getting an insurance claim honored because they did not realize they needed an IDP.
5) Some required expenses may be considered “extras” by your insurance company. For example, burn patients in Davie and other communities often need skin grafts or other skin treatments to recover from their injuries. However, some insurance companies may deem such procedures “cosmetic” and not pay.
If you need help because you are injured in a traffic accident in Davie or another South Florida community, contact the legal team at the Flaxman Law Group. The personal injury attorneys at the Flaxman Law Group have extensive trail experience – but also experience negotiating with insurance carriers on behalf of clients. In fact, Charles Flaxman of the Flaxman Law Group worked for ten years in the insurance industry before graduating near the top of his law class. He has seen the insurance industry from both sides of the courtroom and understands how insurance companies work – and how victims can seek compensation for their injuries.