Pedestrian accidents resulted in 899 deaths in Florida in 2021 alone, and thousands of injuries. This makes Florida the second-deadliest state for pedestrians in the nation.
Fortunately, we can all help in reducing these numbers and making Florida safe for everyone. Drivers can help by:
- Avoiding driving under the influence
- Driving only when calm, physically well, and sober
- Driving defensively
- Scanning the roadways for pedestrian traffic
- Using added caution in pedestrian-heavy areas
- Obeying speed limits and the rules of the road
- Avoiding distraction when driving
- Keeping eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel
Pedestrians can help, too, by:
- Wearing sturdy shoes and clothes that allow them to walk safely
- Wearing visible clothing so cars can see them
- Making eye contact with drivers to ensure visibility
- Staying on sidewalks and in crosswalks
- Using the shoulder of the road and walking towards oncoming traffic where sidewalks are not available
- Staying alert and not walking in traffic areas while intoxicated
- Putting away distractions such as headphones or phones
Why Pedestrian Face Added Barriers After an Accident
After a car accident involving a pedestrian, the pedestrian may face some additional challenges. The size and force of a car can cause serious injuries which may require ongoing and expensive care. Only the at-fault driver’s insurance may be involved, and you can be sure that insurer will do all they can to avoid paying every medical and related cost. They may blame the pedestrian, argue that some injuries are not covered, and take other steps to avoid paying.
If you’re a pedestrian injured in a traffic accident, don’t accept the first insurance offer made to you. And don’t assume insurance companies have your best interests at heart. They don’t. When you work with an accident claims attorney, however, your attorney is obligated to represent your best interests. His or her job is to get you the fairest compensation for which you qualify.
If you’ve been injured and would like to know more, call Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626. You can reach a live person 24/7 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation with an attorney. Or contact us online to ask your questions. With Flaxman Law Group, you’re working with a team with more than 60 years of combined experience. We have recovered over $100 million for our clients, and we’d be happy to offer a free consultation so you can find out what is possible in your potential claim.