In Tamarac and other communities, car accidents can happen anywhere motorists drive. While Tamarac intersection collisions are more likely to be fatal, crashes in parking lots do cause devastating and even fatal injury and are quite common.
Parking lot injuries can occur in public parking areas, in retail store parking spots, in underground parking garages, and anywhere where you park your car. In many cases, the causes of a collision are not immediately apparent. There are many things which can cause parking lot collisions:
- Drivers distracted by parking or by new purchases
- Poor signage or design of the parking lot
- Insufficient light
- Inadequate barriers or separation between pedestrian and car areas
- Drivers not checking blind spots before backing out of parking spots
- Blind spots caused by poor design
- Pedestrians not obeying signage
- Drivers not obeying signage
These collisions lead to many types of injuries, including:
- Head trauma
- Backover accident injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Whiplash and soft tissue injuries
- Back and spinal cord trauma
- Lacerations and bruising
- Internal injuries
There are a few ways to prevent accidents in parking lots:
- Slow down and check for other drivers as well as pedestrians
- Always check blind spots, especially when backing out of a spot
- Be alert for drivers backing out or of children and pedestrians walking in front of your car
- Drive defensively
- Put any distractions away
- Only park or stop in designated areas
If you do find yourself in a parking lot collision, stop to offer assistance to anyone who needs it. If a pedestrian has been hit, you may want to call 911 to get them checked for a head injury or soft tissue injury. You will also want to start documenting right away. Take photos of the scene, including the surrounding area, and get the name and contact information of anyone involved. Contact the owner of the parking lot to report the incident and get a copy of the incident report.
Being in any car collision is scary, but you’ll want to stay calm and get factual information. Avoid getting into a discussion about the cause of the collision. In some cases, parking lot design issues and other problems which caused the car crash may not be apparent and discussing the cause of the crash can harm your case, if you decide to file a claim. This is an issue best left to your attorney.
If despite your efforts you are in parking lot collision in Tamarac or anywhere in south Florida, contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a Tamarac car accident injury claims attorney. Our team has more than six decades of combined experience helping injured drivers seek compensation for their injuries and losses.