Car accidents can be traumatic experiences that can have long-lasting effects on a person’s physical and emotional well-being. In fact, in Florida and across the country, car accidents are one of the leading causes of trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) for non-military personnel.
At Flaxman Law Group, our legal team has worked with many car collision survivors who have found their lives permanently changed by trauma, even after their physical injuries healed. Some of our clients have been unable to return to work or have needed ongoing treatment for their trauma.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Florida, it is important to understand the potential effects of trauma so you can seek the necessary support and resources to help you heal. If you do experience trauma or other injury, we recommend you contact an experienced Florida car accident claims attorney to seek fair compensation so you can pay for the support you need.
Trauma is your body’s natural response to a stressful or life-threatening event, such as an injury or car accident. Trauma can manifest in many ways, including:
- Headaches, muscle tension, fatigue, and other physical symptoms
- Anxiety, depression, and other emotional symptoms
- Difficulty concentrating and memory problems
- Behavioral symptoms such as personality changes or avoiding situations that remind you of the traumatic event
While short-term these symptoms are not usually an issue if they go away eventually, for some survivors these symptoms are intense and last for months or years. It’s important to seek medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms following a car accident, especially if the symptoms are intense or don’t go away on their own. Treatment is available.
Trauma and Car Accidents in Florida
Car accidents in Florida can be particularly traumatic due to the impact of the collisions. If you’re thrown about the inside of the car and aren’t sure you will survive, for example, your body and mind go into a “fight or flight” response and trauma can occur.
The things you see at a car collision scene can also cause trauma. For example, if you see others injured on the scene or see people in distress this can cause trauma and severe anxiety. Some survivors report reliving what they saw, smelled, heard, and experienced at the site of their collision. Some have flashbacks or even nightmares of the event.
Legal Options for Trauma and Car Accidents in Florida
If you have been suffered physical injury and/or trauma after a car accident in Florida, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Some legal options include:
- You can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier
- You can file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver who caused the crash
- You can seek compensation through your own insurance policy, through underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage, for example
An experienced attorney can review these options with you so you can figure out which option might be right for you.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
A personal injury attorney can help you in many ways if you’ve suffered trauma after a car collision;
- They can investigate the accident to establish liability
- They can gather evidence to support your claim, including medical records and witness statements
- They can calculating your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering
- They can negotiate with insurance companies to seek a fair settlement
- They can represent you in court if your case goes to trial
- They can help you find a doctor or medical professional for your trauma
Coping with Trauma After a Car Crash
There are steps you can take to begin the healing process, including:
- Seek medical attention for your physical or emotional symptoms
- Seek support from family, a support group, friends, or a therapist
- Take part in activities that bring you joy and reduce stress, such as exercise, meditation, or writing in a journal
- Avoid triggers that remind you of the traumatic event, such as driving in stressful situations
- Practice self-care and self-compassion
- Be patient with yourself
Do You Need an Experienced Attorney?
If you have experienced trauma as a result of a car accident in Florida, you can start seeking support by reaching out to Flaxman Law Group for a free, no obligation consultation. We have helped thousands of car accident and injury survivors, recording over $100 million in settlements and verdicts, including multi-million-dollar verdicts. Contact us today and let’s talk about your car accident and potential claim.