Unfortunately, Florida sees its share of traffic accidents. According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department, 2,983 people lost their lives in Florida car accidents in 2008. 1,169 of the deaths were due to Florida drunk driving accidents. As a city in Florida, Hollywood also sees its fair share of car accidents. Hollywood car accidents can occur anywhere and at any time. If you live in Hollywood, the Flaxman Law Group legal team hope that you are never in a vehicle collision. However, if you are, knowing what to do can make a dramatic difference in your recovery and future. If you have been in a Hollywood traffic accident, you need to:
1) Offer assistance to anyone who has been injured. If the accident is a Hollywood pedestrian accident, you will need to contact emergency personnel immediately. The same is true in case of a Hollywood bicycle accident or motorcycle accident, where victims are less protected than they would be in a vehicle.
2) Contact authorities. In a case where someone is injured or the accident is severe enough to cause serious damage, call police right away. In minor accidents, move the vehicles involved out of the way of traffic and contact authorities. In cases where police cannot come to the scene, file a police report within 24 hours of the accident by visiting the local police station. Ensure that your version of events is included in the police report.
3) Gather information. Get a copy of the police report and exchange contact information, driver’s registration information, and insurance information with any other drivers involved. Also, be sure to get the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident. If you are taken to a hospital, get a copy of any medical reports and files. If you decide to pursue legal action, this information will be invaluable. Even if you decide not to pursue legal action, this information can be important for insurance claims.
4) Start documentation right away. Note down the time and exact location of the crash, as well as any other particulars you remember. If possible, take photos of the crash scene, the position of the cars and any other details you can. Even photos taken with a phone camera can contain details which are invaluable for Hollywood car accident reconstruction professionals. If you sustain any injuries, take photos of your injuries and start keeping a journal about the costs of your injuries as well as the symptoms you experience.
5) Seek medical help. If you are injured in a Hollywood traffic collision, seek medical help right away. Even if you feel fine after an accident, however, it is important to seek immediate help if you suspect you may have hit your head. Some brain injuries do not manifest symptoms right away but can be fatal, so it is always better to err on the side of caution and seek help at once.
6) Consult with a Hollywood personal injury attorney specializing in car accident claims. In many cases, you will need the help of an attorney to get the fairest claim possible, especially if you have significant or expensive injuries. A consultation will at least help you understand your options and the likely total costs of your accident, so that you can make an informed decision in your case.
Do you need a Hollywood car accident attorney? Contact the Flaxman Law Group. With law offices in Hollywood as well as locations in Miami and Homestead, the Flaxman Law Group is poised to help personal injury plaintiffs across South Florida. Call today to arrange for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case with the experienced Flaxman Law Group legal team.