The statistics surrounding the risk of car accidents in Miami and other major Florida cities can be frightening. For example, did you know…
1) There were more than 43 000 Miami Dade County car accidents in 2008 alone, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. That means 118 accidents daily in just that one county. The accidents also had a high cost that year, causing 271 fatalities. In 85 of the fatal car accidents in Miami Dade County, alcohol was a cause of the accident, again underscoring the risks of Miami drunk driving.
2) Miami Dade County experienced an especially high rate of serious car accidents in the early part of the 2000s, with 51, 132 road accidents in 2002 and 54, 519 Miami Dade traffic accidents in 2001. After 2001, the number of accidents began to decline, but tens of thousands of accidents still occur across the county every year.
3) While Miami Dade County has many large cities, including Hialeah, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables, Homestead, Miami Beach, North Miami, South Miami, and others, Miami is the city that sees the largest number of car accidents. Miami car accidents account for up to a quarter of all accidents in the County some years.
4) A significant number of Miami car accidents are Miami drunk driving accidents. Statistics show that in 2005, 4.63% of traffic accidents were related to alcohol. In comparison, 2.12% of traffic accidents across Miami Dade County were linked to alcohol consumption that same year.
5) Miami Dade County has significant rates of most types of traffic accidents. While the statistics about Miami traffic accidents are sobering, the County sees quite a number of different types of accidents. In 2005, there were eight fatal Miami Dade bicycle accidents, 81 fatal pedestrian accidents, and 45 fatal Miami Dade motorcycle accidents as well. In addition to these fatalities, many more residents were injured in these types of accidents but survived their injuries. Across Florida that year, more than 1000 people were injured in pedestrian accidents and more than 400 people were injured in bicycle accidents. Unfortunately, Florida has earned a reputation as a state with a high number of bicycle accidents.
Knowing about the statistics can be useful for Florida drivers and pedestrians. If you live, work, or travel to Miami or the surrounding areas, knowing your risks is important. While you cannot prevent every accident, there are many things you can do to stay safe. Getting adequate driving training, staying distraction-free, and following the rules of the road are all important first steps. Authorities agree that many car accidents across the country are preventable. Driving safely and responsibly can keep you and your loved ones safe.
The legal team at the Flaxman Law Group hope that you never are involved in a Florida car accident. However, if you or a loved one are in an accident, it is important to know the importance of a qualified Miami car accident attorney. A good attorney can investigate the accident and can aggressively represent you so that you do not need to pay for medical costs or lost income out of pocket. If you need an attorney in South Florida, you can always call the Flaxman Law Group offices in Miami, Homestead, or Hollywood. We are proud to offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation to all new clients.