Unfortunately, at this time of year Homestead, Hollywood, and many other communities see increased DUIs. In many years, there are more inebriated drivers on the road. There are more festivities at this time of year, and alcohol can be served. In addition, even people who don’t normally drink may raise a toast during the holidays. Added stress and fatigued caused by the holiday season in general can make the effects of alcohol hit harder.
To celebrate the holidays safely and avoid a car accident, there are a few things we can all do.
- Get a designated driver. Talk to your friends and family about the risk of DUIs. Create a schedule and agree to be each other’s safe way to get home.
- Plan to call a cab. Install an app in your phone so you can easily call a cab. Leave you car at home, so you have no excuse to drink and drive.
- Try a ride sharing program. A ride sharing app can be an affordable and convenient alternative to a taxi.
- Go to sober events. If you’re attending a party or event, ask ahead of time whether alcohol will be served. Consider attending family-friendly events where alcohol won’t be served, so there is no opportunity to take part.
- Hire a car. If you’re going out as a group, rent a car and driver. Not only does this allow you to arrive in style, but having someone standing by to take you home makes sure you stay together and get home safe.
- Plan on a hotel stay. A hotel can be a good place to spend the night if you’ve been drinking, especially if you’re heading out far from home and taxi cabs back would be expensive. This can also be a good option for New Year’s Eve, where it may be difficult and expensive to get a ride home.
- Stay in and have the party at your home. If you keep the crowd small, you can offer everyone a place to stay so no one drives under the influence. If you serve alcohol, make sure your guests don’t drink and drive afterwards. Ask everyone to surrender their keys when they arrive and serve alcohol responsibly, stopping service early in the evening.
If you are injured by a driver who is under the influence, don’t delay taking steps to preserve evidence. You may have a claim that lets you seek compensation for your injuries.
If you’re injured, you can always call Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 to speak to a live person 24/7. We have over 60 years of combined experience and we can schedule a free, no obligation consultation with an attorney to review your options. Or you can contact us online. Our offices in Homestead, Hollywood, and Miami are here to serve you.