Intersection accidents are common, and one vulnerability happens when a driver turns left. Their actions and the actions of others on the road can lead to an accident, and proving liability in these cases can be challenging.
The legal team at Flaxman Law Group has worked with thousands of injured people in Hollywood and across Florida, including survivors of left-turn accidents. If you’ve been injured in any type of car crash in Southern Florida, contact our family-based legal team for a free consultation with a Hollywood car accident claims lawyer.
Why Do Left-Turn Car Crashes Happen?
These crashes happen when one driver is turning left when another motorist or pedestrian is in the intersection, resulting in a collision. These accidents can happen for many reasons:
- Drivers failing to yield and to check whether they can turn safely.
- Motorists failing to adjust their driving for weather and traffic conditions.
- Drivers failing to signal.
- Drivers running a red light.
- Misjudging speed and distances in intersections.
- Fatigued or impaired driving.
- Distracted driving.
- Racing to beat other users of the road on a light.
- Poor road design that obstructs visibility.
Establishing what caused a left-turn accident is complex. Car accident claims attorneys in Hollywood and other communities will often look at traffic cameras or work with investigators and accident reconstruction experts to get answers and to build strong cases for their clients.
How Can I Prevent Left-Turn Crashes?
There are several things you can do:
- Signal in advance and always check your surroundings to make sure you can make a turn correctly.
- Drive defensively, staying prepared for other drivers to behave in unexpected ways.
- Obey speed limits and traffic signs and signals.
- When turning left, check for any unexpected activity even if you have the green light.
- Only make a turn when you have full visibility and know you can proceed safely.
- As you make your left turn, use a smooth and controlled arc and continue to check for any unexpected road users in all directions.
- Enter the left-most lane of the road when you make a left turn.
- If you’re heading straight through an intersection, look out for anyone turning left and be aware that not all drivers use turn signals as they’re required to.
What Should I Do If I’m in a Left-Turn Crash?
If the worst happens and you’re in a collision, here’s what to do next:
- Pull over and assess. Check on any passengers and find out if anyone needs you to call 911. If no one seems seriously injured, pull both vehicles over to prevent obstructing traffic.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver. Try to stick to the facts and avoid discussing the collision and its possible causes.
- Get documentation. Take photos of the accident scene if you can and write down everything you can remember. If anyone saw the accident happen, see if you can get their contact information in case you file a claim later.
- Talk to a doctor. Some injuries, such as head trauma and soft tissue injuries, may have very subtle symptoms at first. They can be easy to miss. Seek out medical attention as soon as possible after your accident to make sure you get any treatment you need.
- Contact police and your insurance company. Your insurance company may need the police report to file your claim.
- Speak with a car accident claims lawyer in Hollywood or your community. You may not be sure whether you want to file a lawsuit in your case. Even so, talking to an attorney can be valuable. An experienced Hollywood car accident claims attorney can tell you how much your potential claim may be worth. He or she can negotiate with insurance carriers for you and build a strong case if you do need to take your case to court.
Are you looking for a car accident claims lawyer in Hollywood or the surrounding area? Flaxman Law Group is a family-based law firm with more than 60 years of combined experience. Our father-son attorney team has offices in Hollywood, Homestead, and Hollywood and we even recently opened an office in Denver, Colorado to serve that community. We have extensive trail and negotiation experience, a compassionate approach, and more than $100 million recovered for clients so far. Flaxman Law Group can be your partner as you negotiate the claims system in Florida. If you’ve been injured in a left-hand turn crash or any type of traffic collision, reach out for a free consultation with a member of our team.