At this time of year, many residents of Hollywood and communities across Florida are making plans for Thanksgiving. For many people, these plans involve driving to attend Thanksgiving dinners with friends and family.
At Flaxman Law Group, our team of attorneys is closely involved in the Hollywood, Homestead, and Miami communities, where we have offices. We know that Thanksgiving and other holidays tend to see higher accident rates in our communities.
Even though authorities will be monitoring the roads during this Thanksgiving weekend, accidents can happen. If you’re involved in a crash, know that our phone lines will continue to be staffed 24/7, even during the holiday weekend, so you can always get in touch with a live person to arrange a free consultation with a Florida car accident claims attorney.
What Causes Thanksgiving Car Crashes in Hollywood and Across Florida?
There are a few factors that make Thanksgiving especially dangerous on Hollywood and Florida roads:
- A high volume of traffic during the holiday weekend can lead to congestion and crashes.
- Many drivers may be heading down unfamiliar roads, where they may not know the hazards.
- Unfortunately, some people choose to drink and drive during the Thanksgiving long weekend, leading to an increase in drunk driving crashes.
- The late nights, long trips, and heavy meals of Thanksgiving can lead to drowsiness-related car collisions.
- Some Florida drivers may be heading out of state for the weekend, where they may face the additional hazards of snow-covered roads and winter driving.
- Drivers who are trying to make it to a Thanksgiving dinner on time may be tempted to speed, which can lead to serious crashes.
How Can You Prevent a Thanksgiving Car Collision?
As you plan your Thanksgiving travel, keep the following tips in mind:
- Have a drive sober plan. Have a plan to avoid drinking and driving. You may decide to avoid drinking entirely, designate a driver, or plan to stay overnight after a Thanksgiving dinner. Just make sure you have a back-up plan, in case the unexpected happens.
- Give yourself more time than you need. Map your drive, and schedule in regular rest stops. Give yourself some buffer time on top of that to account for traffic and unexpected stops.
- Get your car ready. Top up your fluids and make sure your car is in good working order.
- Consider sharing the driving. You’re less likely to get fatigued or have your mind wander when you can switch off driving duties. At the very least, it can be handy to have someone else along for the ride, helping you read street signs and directions.
- Drive distraction-free. Make sure you’re not trying to text someone or read directions while you’re driving. Put away your devices and get ready to drive defensively.
- Take an alternative form of transport. Heading out for Thanksgiving right after a long day of work? Driving with a big family in the car? Heading somewhere with snowy roads? When driving a car isn’t the safety option, consider taking a train, bus, or plane to your destination.
If, despite your precautions, the bad decisions and negligence of other drivers cause you to be in a car crash, consult with a Hollywood car accident claims attorney at Flaxman Law Group. Our family-based team has more than 60 years of experience, including extensive negotiation and trial experience. If you’re injured, arrange a free consultation with our team to find out how we may be able to seek compensation for your injuries, income loss, car repair bills, and other losses.