Florida is home to more than 4000 species of animals and over 520 native bird species, making it one of the most bio-diverse states in the country. While all this wildlife adds to the natural beauty of the area, wildlife and cars are a bad mix. Each year, people are injured or killed because of crashes involving animals.
If you find yourself injured after a car collision involving an alligator, bear, deer, or any other wildlife, give Flaxman Law Group a call at 866-352-9626. Our compassionate, family-based legal team has already recovered over $100 million for our clients and we’d be pleased to offer you a free consultation so you can talk to a Hollywood car accident claims lawyer about your crash and about any options you might have for compensation.
Preventing Wildlife-Related Accidents
While you can’t predict when an animal might leap in front of you, there are things you can do to reduce your risk:
- Use extra caution at dusk and dawn, when animals are more active.
- Wear a seatbelt and insist your passengers do, too, so that you’re protected in the event of a crash.
- Put away distractions when you drive so you’re more likely to notice animal movement.
- Drive sober so you can use better judgement and enjoy better response times.
- Use extra caution in more rural areas and remote areas where wildlife can be more plentiful.
- Slow down, especially if you’re traveling through areas where wildlife are likely to be.
- Drive defensively and scan the sides of the road for any signs of animals.
- Be especially cautious between October to December, when deer (the most likely animal to cause Florida animal-related crashes) are most active.
- In residential areas, stay alert for dogs and cats who may be roaming.
What To Do If You’re in An Accident with Wildlife
Even if you’re a careful and safe driver, wildlife will sometimes dash in front of you. If this happens, your best bet is to brake firmly. Avoid swerving, if you can, as this can cause you to lose control of the car or to crash into another vehicle or object. If you can’t slow down in time and can’t avoid the crash, here’s what to do next:
- Move your car to a safe area and turn on your hazards.
- Call 911 if you or anyone else at the scene is seriously injured.
- See if the animal is injured and call wildlife services if the animal needs attention.
- Call police if the animal is blocking the road or if you think you may need to make an insurance claim.
- Take pictures and video of the crash site, the surrounding area, any injuries you have, and the damage to your car.
- Look over your car to see if it is safe to drive. If you’re not sure, call a tow truck.
- Contact a Hollywood car accident claims attorney to find out whether you may have a claim.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
Many drivers assume they don’t have a claim in a car accident involving a large animal. These accidents are usually single-vehicle crashes. However, we still recommend talking to a Hollywood car accident claims attorney at Flaxman Law Group.
We offer a free, obligation-free consultation, so there’s no risk in at least getting an evaluation of your situation. A Hollywood car accident claims lawyer on our team may help you determine if there are any liable parties in your case and we may be able to negotiate with your insurance company to seek the fairest compensation for you. Contact our family-founded and family-run law firm today and let’s talk.