Being in a car collision in Hollywood or anywhere in South Florida is stressful enough, but for many survivors, there is an additional risk: misdiagnosis. After a car collision, it’s not uncommon to be rushed to an ER or to talk to your doctor about your potential injuries. In fact, it’s important to get a full medical evaluation if there is any chance you have been injured, so you can start getting needed treatment right away.
Unfortunately, the father-son car accident attorney team at Flaxman Law Group have met many car collision survivors who faced not only painful injuries but also missed or delayed diagnosis. It can be frustrating to deal with this situation, but there may be options for medical malpractice and car accident claims. To find if you qualify, call Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 as soon as possible after your injury to arrange a free consultation with a Hollywood car accident claims lawyer.
Why Does Misdiagnosis Happen After Car Accidents?
There are many reasons why you may have a hard time getting timely, proper treatment after a car accident:
- If you’re in a multi-vehicle crash, it can take time for emergency crews to get to you, delaying diagnosis and treatment.
- If the ER is busy, doctors may rush through your assessment.
- Some doctors and medical staff may be negligent.
- Rushed surgery can lead to wrong-site surgery.
- Under-staffing can lead to incorrect dosages or other serious instances of medical malpractice.
- Poor hospital policies can mean you don’t get the treatment you need.
- The symptoms of some injuries, such as soft tissue injuries, can be subtle at first and can take days to develop.
No matter what the risks, it’s important to get a full medical evaluation if there is any chance you may have been injured in your car crash. You can also reduce the risk of a delayed or missed diagnosis by:
- Taking a friend with you, if you can, when you go to the hospital.
- Following up with your doctor after your initial diagnosis.
- Keeping a journal of your symptoms so you can notice when symptoms get worse and seek medical attention.
- Getting a second opinion.
What Is the Impact of Misdiagnosis?
A delayed or missed diagnosis after a car accident can be devastating. It can:
- Delay your treatment, which can result in complications or worse outcomes.
- Leave in you pain.
- Make it harder to prove your injuries were caused by your car crash.
- Lead to complications that cost additional money to treat.
In some cases, missed diagnoses can even be life-threatening. For example, a head injury can present no symptoms at first but can quickly become life-threatening. If not caught and treated early, it can cause swelling and bleeding of the brain, permanent brain injury, and even fatalities.
For all these reasons, if you have faced a medical error after your car collision or have faced any serious injury, call Flaxman Law Group. In a free consultation our car accident attorney can explain whether you have a medical malpractice claim or another way to seek compensation for your injuries. It can be the first step to getting your life back after a serious injury.