Rollovers happen when a car turns over on its side or its roof during a crash. In some cases, these collisions cause the vehicle to turn all the way over to rest on the wheels again. Due to the way passengers are violently shaken inside the car, rollovers in Homestead and across the country frequently lead to serious injury and even fatalities.
Rollovers in Hollywood and across South Florida happen for a number of reasons. In some cases, a vehicle is traveling too fast and this can cause the car to spin out of control and roll, especially on turns and on uneven roadways. Rollovers can also happen when a car collision is serious enough to cause a rollover. Crashes where the wheels of a car leave the road are more likely to result in rollovers.
There are several ways you can prevent these types of collisions when driving:
- Slow down for turns. Turns and excess speed are two risk factors for rollovers. Avoid taking turns too rapidly and follow the speed limit to reduce the risk of many types of car collisions, including rollovers.
- Choose cars with low centers of gravity. When shopping for a car, check safety ratings and determine whether a specific model has a higher risk of rollovers.
- Consider roads and weather when driving. Slippery roads and poor visibility can make any type of collision more likely, so slow down. Rollovers are more likely on uneven roads and on slippery roads, especially if there is a chance your vehicle will go over a shoulder.
- Drive defensively. Always think two or three moves ahead and keep scanning the area around you. Being aware of your surroundings and being prepared for the unexpected can help you avoid collisions.
- Keep your seatbelt buckled. One of the reasons why rollovers are so deadly is because occupants of the car are thrown around violently and the impact against the interior of the car can result in fractures, contusions, and other serious injuries. A passenger thrown from the vehicle can also sustain fatal injuries. Seat belts will not prevent a rollover but if the car is in this type of collision, seatbelts will keep all occupants inside the vehicle and relatively stationary, reducing the risk of serious harm.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Homestead or anywhere in South Florida, you deserve answers. If your collision was caused by someone else’s negligence of recklessness, you may be able to pursue a legal claim to seek compensation for your medical expenses, property damage, car repairs, lost wages, and more. If you may be eligible, schedule an appointment with a Homestead rollover accident attorney by calling Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN).