Anyone can suffer severe, life-changing injury in a pedestrian accident, but some pedestrians are simply more vulnerable. Small children, for example, are still growing and may have their development and growth affected by an early injury. Their smaller size means they’re more likely to suffer critical injuries.
Another vulnerable group of pedestrians is seniors. The family-based legal team at Flaxman Law Group has worked with many senior clients who have suffered devastating injuries because a driver failed to stop at an intersection. If you find yourself in this situation, reach out to our father-son attorney team. In a free consultation, we can review your potential options for pursuing compensation and we can address questions you may have about your rights.
How Seniors Can be Vulnerable in Hollywood Pedestrian Accidents
Seniors are especially vulnerable in crosswalks and when crossing the road and there are several factors that can make accidents and injuries more likely for this group:
- Some seniors may be moving more slowly. People walking with a cane, walker, or other medical device may not be able to get across the intersection during a light. In addition, someone who has mobility issues may not be able to get out of the way in time if a car runs a red light.
- Senior pedestrians may have underlying conditions. Osteoporosis, for example, can make it more likely that an elderly pedestrian will break a bone or a hip, and the healing process will be longer.
- Seniors may face longer recovery times. Underlying conditions, such as hypertension, can affect the types of treatment a patient can receive after an injury. In addition, if a senior is frail it can take longer for their body to recover from an injury.
- Senior pedestrians may face challenges in pursuing claims. Unfortunately, bias still exists. Drivers may blame a senior for the accident or may challenge a pedestrian’s memory of the accident, based on their age. An experienced Hollywood car accident claims attorney can fight this kind of prejudice and seek justice for an injured person.
- Most pedestrians don’t know their rights. This one doesn’t just apply to the elderly. Pedestrians of all ages are routinely blamed for accidents they didn’t cause and they often don’t know they may have a right to compensation for their injuries.
What You Can Do After a Pedestrian Accident
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian crash, get a full medical evaluation. This is especially important if you’re elderly or anyone with an underlying condition.
You’ll also want to get as much information at the scene of the accident, if you can. Take photos, if possible, but avoid getting into a discussion with the driver, beyond getting their insurance details. Any words you say can be used by the driver’s lawyers and insurance company to try to minimize your claims.
Instead, you may want to work with your own attorney. A Hollywood car accident claims lawyer is there to protect your rights and to seek compensation if you qualify, so you can pay for medical care and other costs related to your injury. To find out more, reach out to the family-based law firm, Flaxman Law Group. We’re happy to offer a free consultation to anyone who has been injured and who wants to know about their rights.