At this time of year in Broward County, many residents are traveling to see family and friends for the holiday. This can create added congestion and a heightened risk of traffic accidents.
Fortunately, there are several things we can all do to prevent car accidents in Broward County this Thanksgiving:
- Avoid driving when tired: Fatigued driving is dangerous because sleepy motorists have slower response times and make poorer decisions than well-rested drivers. If you stay up late celebrating or feel fatigued after a big Thanksgiving meal, wait until you are more alert to drive.
- Take steps to reduce drunk driving: Always have at least two back-up options to get home safely and avoid drinking even if you are feeling “buzzed” and may not be over the legal limit. If you are hosting Thanksgiving festivities, stop serving alcohol early and be prepared to keep anyone who has had too much from driving home.
- Give yourself more time to travel: Staying overnight at a hotel, leaving early, and generally giving yourself more time to drive lets you stay calm even in congested traffic and allows you to take frequent breaks so you can stay focused on the road.
- Pack your bag carefully: Make sure you keep a first-aid kit, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, and anything else you need to stay safe in your car and within easy reach.
- Listen to weather and traffic alerts: Knowing what conditions you will be driving in can help you avoid traffic jams and bad weather.
- Take action against distraction: Put away all distractions and drive defensively, so you keep your focus on the road. Frequent rests can also help you avoid distraction by giving your mind a chance to rest.
- Map your route before you go: Knowing your route can help you avoid checking directions while you’re driving, which can be an added distraction. Mapping your route can also help you avoid common hazards on your trip and can help you plan rest stops or possible hotel stays, if you need them.
- Avoid driving late at night or very early in the morning: Not only are you more likely to be sleepy at these hours, but wildlife is also more active then, creating an added risk on the roads. Try to drive when you are most alert.
- Use extra caution if you’re traveling north of Florida: If you’re going on a longer drive, especially anywhere where roads may already be icy or snow-covered, use extra caution. Make sure you have snow tires and are prepared for winter driving. Even if you’re driving within Florida, if you’re going a long distance consider breaking up your driving or sharing driving duties so you don’t get exhausted.
The legal team at Flaxman Law Group wishes you and your loved ones a happy and safe Thanksgiving. Our phone lines will continue to be staffed during the holiday, so you can always reach a live person if you have been injured and need to schedule a consultation. You can call us anytime at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) to schedule a free consultation with a Broward County car accident injury claims attorney.