Broadside or side collisions happen when a vehicle impacts the side of a car, often at an intersection. The distinctive T shape of the two cars is what gives this crash its name. These accidents most often happen when someone fails to yield right of way or when someone drives through a red light or stop sign.
Side collisions in Hollywood can result in whiplash, fractures, spinal cord injuries, TBI, and other serious injuries. Nationwide, these crashes are responsible for 17% of all car accident fatalities.
Broadside crashes can be a challenge because it can be difficult to determine liability. If someone ran a red light and collided with a vehicle, the driver running the red light is clearly liable. However, if a car did not yield right of way but the driver in the hit car failed to avoid the crash because they were sleepy or under the influence, both drivers may be found partly liable.
Since side collisions can be complicated, if you find yourself in this type of traffic crash in Hollywood or South Florida, you will want to:
- Get help for anyone who needs it: The first priority is to get help for yourself or anyone else who has been injured. T-bone accidents can crush passengers or drivers and in some cases can trap them in the car, since there is no crumple zone on the side of the car and not every vehicle has side impact airbags.
- Stay calm: Do not get into an argument on the scene or panic. It can be difficult to even determine who is at fault before a careful investigation, so avoid blaming or accepting blame for the crash.
- Document: Take photos of the scene, get contact information for the other driver, and write down the details of the collision. Consider keeping a notebook for receipts and costs related to your injury.
- Stay alert for symptoms: Even after you get home, stay aware of any symptoms. If your head starts to hurt after a few hours, get emergency medical help. If your neck or body aches within a few days, see a doctor. Some head injuries and soft tissue injuries are not obvious at once but still may require medical attention.
- Get help: Your first instinct may be to contact your insurer, but you may also want to speak with a car accident attorney in Hollywood or your area. An attorney can help you understand whether you have a claim and how much your claim may be worth.
Contact Flaxman Law Group at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN) for a free consultation with a traffic accident attorney in Hollywood. Our full-service legal team has offices in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood but we also offer virtual and telephone consultations. Our team can handle all the details from you, from arranging a car rental to helping you seek compensation for your injuries.