Wrong-way accidents happen when a vehicle travels in the opposite direction of traffic, leading to catastrophic (often head-on) collisions. The father-son attorney team at Flaxman Law Group have worked with many survivors of these accidents and we’re deeply committed to helping anyone who’s been injured in a car crash. If you find yourself in this situation and aren’t sure where to turn, our offices in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood are here for you; just reach out for a free, no obligation case consultation with a Hollywood car accident lawyer.
Why Are Wrong-Way Accidents Happening in Florida?
Wrong-way accidents can happen on any type of road, from highways to local streets. They’re more likely to take place in the late-night or early-morning hours and are often attributed to the following factors:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other substances.
- Distracted driving.
- Senior drivers who may experience confusion or disorientation.
- Poorly placed or missing signs on roadways and ramps.
- Fatigued driving.
The Consequences of Wrong-Way Accidents
In Hollywood and across Florida, wrong-way accidents can lead to many serious outcomes:
- Severe Injuries and Fatalities: Wrong-way accidents often result in head-on collisions, leading to more severe injuries and fatalities due to the high impact forces involved. Head trauma, spinal cord injuries, fractures, and other serious injuries are common.
- Criminal Charges: In cases where wrong-way driving is attributed to impairment or reckless behavior, drivers could face criminal charges such as DUI or vehicular manslaughter.
- Civil Liability: Drivers who cause wrong-way accidents may be held liable for damages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering for those they injure in the crash.
What to Do After a Wrong-Way Accident
If you ever find yourself injured by a wrong-way driver, you may want to take the following actions:
- Ensure your safety and the safety of others involved by moving vehicles to a safe location, if possible.
- Report the accident to the police and obtain an official accident report, since you might need it for insurance claims and legal claims.
- Collect information from all parties involved, including driver’s license, insurance details, and contact information.
- Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including photos and video of any vehicle damage and road conditions.
- Even if you feel fine, seek medical attention to assess and start treatment for any potential injuries.
- When to Contact a Hollywood Car Accident Lawyer
Wrong-way accidents can lead to life-altering consequences for victims and their families. Worse, everything happens very quickly after a crash. You may be contacted by insurance companies and asked to sign paperwork. You may be asked to make decisions that could impact the next several years of your life.
Make no mistake: the decisions you make immediately following a car accident matter. If you’ve been involved in a wrong-way accident, reach out to Flaxman Law Group at once by calling 866-352-9626. It costs nothing to have a consultation with a Hollywood car accident lawyer on our team and it’s a way to get answers and to discuss your options before you make any decisions.