Wrong way car collisions in Hollywood and other Florida communities are often serious crashes. These collisions tend to cause head-on crashes and significant injuries as well as fatalities. In many cases, drinking and driving is involved. Often occurring after who in the morning and in the early morning hours, these traffic accidents are generally fully preventable.
Wrong way collisions can occur as a result of different situations:
- Wrong freeway ramps. One of the most common wrong-way collisions occurs when a driver gets on the wrong entrance ramp, driving in the direction of oncoming traffic exiting or entering the freeway from the wrong direction.
- One-way street confusion. Drivers may not notice one-way street signs and thus may enter and drive on a street in the wrong direction.
- Getting confused or taking the wrong exit, leading to driving on the wrong side of the highway or road.
Ways to Prevent Wrong-Way Accidents
As a society, we can create larger and more visible signs to prevent wrong-way accidents. One-way streets should also be clearly marked. Freeway entrance ramps can be clearly and visibly marked to prevent wrong-way accidents. In addition, there are several things individual motorists can do to prevent wrong-way crashes:
- Avoid drinking and driving. Drinking and driving is a leading cause of wrong-way collisions, especially those occurring in the early morning hours.
- Avoid distracted driving. Distracted driving can easily cause you to overlook one-way street signs and other important cues.
- Use extra caution when driving at night. Street signs may not be as visible and there may not be as much traffic, meaning you cannot use the flow of traffic as a guide.
- Know what to do if you encounter a driver heading the wrong way. Flash your lights to alert the driver and get out of their way. If you think they may be driving drunk, contact the police.
- Plan your route before you travel, especially if you will be driving in an unfamiliar place. This allows you to determine which turns you must take and allows you to ensure your directions aren’t leading you to turn the wrong way onto a one-way street.
If You Have Been Injured, Talk to a Hollywood Car Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a wrong way car collision in Hollywood, Homestead, Miami or any surrounding areas, contact Flaxman Law Group for a free consultation. Your first consultation with us is free and comes with absolutely no obligation. The attorneys at Flaxman Law Group have more than 60 years of combined experience and have already secured tens of millions of dollars on behalf of plaintiffs involved in truck accidents, car accidents and personal injury claims. We can help explain whether you have a claim, help you understand how much your claim is worth, and answer your questions. Your first consultation comes with no cost and no obligation, so contact us today.