Florida has the unfortunate distinction of being a hotbed for car insurance fraud. While authorities have been taking steps to crack down on fraudsters, many innocent victims are still duped by insurance fraud. Even if you have no intention of committing fraud after a Hialeah truck accident or car accident, being duped could mean that you are accused of taking part in fraud. You may also see your insurance rates rise if you are in an accident caused by a fraudster.
If you have been in a Hialeah car accident, there are many steps you can take to avoid becoming a victim of fraud:
1) Visit legal and medical professionals you trust. Most attorneys and medical professionals are honest and professional, but some in both industries have been involved in fraud. Ask for recommendations or do some quick research if you do not know any professionals in Hialeah. Honest professionals will welcome questions and will have abundant proof that they are honest professionals.
2) Be wary of any offers that seem too good to be true. If someone offers an advance payment or a settlement in person or through the mail that seems very high, be wary. An honest Hialeah personal injury attorney will evaluate your case, will be able to explain how much your case may be worth and why, and will be able to advise you of the strength of your case. No attorney, however, can guarantee a settlement or compensation.
3) Get documentation. If you can, take photos of the car accident site, the damage, and the other car. Keep careful records of witness contact information, contact information for other drivers involved, the time and date of the accident, and any other information. Note how many passengers were in the other car and get contact information for each person. Keep detailed notes about medical treatments received and get copies of any medical records and police records you can.
4) Check your documentation. Compare any statements received against the records you keep. This will help you see whether medical claims are padded with treatments you did not get or if more people are claiming injuries than were actually in the car. Both are common red flag signs of fraud after a Hialeah truck accident or car accident, but many people miss these signs because they do not check the records.
5) Report to the police even if the accident was not major. Any accident involving minor damage and injuries should be reported, since you will get an accident report, which will be important when you file an insurance claim. It is another step in the documentation process. You should also contact the police if you feel that you have been the victim of insurance fraud.
Continue reading →